Freelance Science Writer
Washington, D.C., area and national, 2012 to present
- Current and previous clients include: The Washington Post, Smithsonian Magazine, Pacific Standard, The Atlantic, Baltimore Sun, U.S. News & World Report, Modern Notion, Diagnostics World, SciDev.Net, Clinical Laboratory News, Johns Hopkins Public Health Magazine, The Maryland Daily Record, Nephrology Times
Scientific Communications Editor (contractor)
Bethesda, Md., 2014 to present
- I provide writing and editing services for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, part of the National Institutes of Health. More specifically, I translate technical and scientific subject matter based on scientific papers and clinical trials information into communications materials, such as news releases, web content, email bulletins and social media items.
Associate Editor, Life Sciences
Washington, D.C., 2012 to 2014
- I was the lead reporter at FierceBiotechResearch, a weekly online newsletter that covers drug discovery and development, preclinical research and R&D funding. In addition, I edited and contributed to FierceBiotech, a daily newsletter and the flagship publication under FierceMarkets’ Life Sciences group. I also ran the FierceBiotech Twitter handle, which boasts more than 44,000 followers. Several of my stories on FierceBiotech and FierceBiotechResearch appeared on Google News, Reddit and other sites.
Baltimore Business Journal
Baltimore, Md., 2010 to 2011
- I was the healthcare and biotechnology reporter for a business newspaper, where I wrote four breaking news, enterprise or trend stories for the paper’s weekly print edition and one daily story for the web.
Scripps Howard News Service
Washington, D.C., Fall 2009
- I was a reporting intern for the Scripps Howard Foundation Wire, housed in the same building as the Scripps Howard News Service, where I focused on health coverage and stories of international importance. My articles for the wire service were picked up by Scripps-owned newspapers in Florida, Indiana and Texas.
M.A. Science Writing – The Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, Md., 2013 to 2015
B.S. Journalism, cum laude – Ohio University, E.W. Scripps School of Journalism
Athens, Ohio, 2006 to 2010
HONORS & AWARDS
Outstanding Senior Award in News Editorial
Ohio University, May 2010
1st Place Mark of Excellence Award, Region 1
Society of Professional Journalists, March 2008
DC Science Writers Association, 2013 to present
National Science Writers Association, 2014 to present